Wednesday 16 November 2011

Communicating with SIG(s)

One philosophy of the BAPP Arts Programme is the use of Social Media for learning and communication. Be that as it may we are not always in control of Web 2.0 technology. You will find that the Reviews and Discussions tabs from Facebook have been removed.

The following extract is an explanation from Facebook:

“What happened to the Reviews and Discussions tabs on my Facebook Page?
We've found that the best way to encourage conversation and feedback is through posts and comments on your Wall, so we're removing the Reviews and Discussions tabs for now. We're working on tools to help you moderate, filter and manage content in one powerful place. Stay tuned.

You won't be able to access your reviews and discussions once they're removed, so please save this content if you'd like to keep it for future reference.

On place pages with a location, fans can still write a recommendation for their friends or others from the right-column that says Recommendations”.

In view of the removal of the Discussions Forum from Facebook – the following is our advice on how approach evidencing your engagement with your SIG(s)

For discussions that you already have had on Facebook we advise that you give an account (written paragraph) of these discussions and how they moved your thinking along in relation to your inquiry topic and questions

The purpose of the SIG is to engage you with a wider professional community to explore questions further – this can be with class colleagues or in the workplace or professional community. As you continue to have these discussions we recommend that you use methods / tools which are most suitable and relevant to you. In view of what has just happened with Facebook we recommend that you continuously document important elements from the SIG discussions. Any future discussions you have about your inquiry can be documented and this documentation be used as evidence of engagement with the SIG(s)

Discussions can happen in a variety of ways such as:

Face to face
E-mail
Setting up groups on your own Facebook
WIKIS

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rosemary. I think this is a valuable lesson for us all. We have been using a social networking site for academic purposes...
    With the beautiful benefit of hindsight, I am not sure why it didn't even occur to me to save the information onto my laptop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosemary. Thanks for the explanation here. I was totally confused! Amanada, I am in the same position, furiously trying to wrack my brain as to what points were mentioned and discussed that I may need and want to refer to later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am having difficulties in remembering discussions and how they have helped move my thinking on. maybe we can help each other by blogging about some of the things we remember?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a good idea Nicole - I am going to try and do a blog post with summaries of all the important conversations that I remember whilst they are still quite fresh in my mind. What a pain...the discussion boards were a great way of keeping conversations going without having to constantly refer back to the blogs. Perhaps Wikis are a good idea...if anyone has any ideas, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, I have actually just posted a blog to see if anyone were interested in continuing the discussions, either starting a new facebook group or via email also? Blogging important bits we remember seems like a great idea, I shall contribute what I can.

    ReplyDelete